Thursday, June 23, 2011

Balls-deep in the bush

For the past few days, I have been surviving in the wilderness, with nothing more than a couple of knives, a multi-tool, and my wondrous cranium - on walkabout, if you will.
Why would I do this?
To return to basics. To be primal. To sort out my own head. To adapt & change. Finally, to awaken on a spiritual level.
I logged my time out there, but have decided that I will not be posting it this time around - mainly because 3 days is fucking child's play, and I'm aiming for a week next time...the only reason I returned, was due to a massive storm moving in, and my shelter wouldn't have been able to withstand that (that, and 3 days in shitty weather surviving on less than basics is more than enough time for you to figure your shit out - at least enough to suffice for now) - not to mention the fact that I'm already pretty damp.


I will, however, let you in on a few points of interest over the past week, which included:

* seeing some sort of red snake, which I didn't think we had in this area (kept my distance, because the fucker looked poisonous)
* surviving in a forest which is home to bears, wolves, and countless other critters that can fuck you up if they wanted to (yet didn't, thankfully)
* fishing with a spear - yes, frogs count too.
* making fire - the most primal of activities
* proving to myself that I am more than self-sufficient, and could live like that indefinitely if I had to 
* proving to myself that I can take it, as well as dish it when the situation calls for it
* being awoken by deer rustling nearby (day 2)
* fantastic views
* putting up with rain, wind, shelter falling over, traps failing, and cold nights
* hunting, and eating things I wouldn't normally eat
* epiphany after epiphany (more on this later)
* avoiding the internet (which sucks, in case you forgot the title of this blog)

No real "spiritual awakening", but I'm guessing it's because I wasn't gone long enough....or the complete lack of peyote & mushrooms.
Might have to bring something like that next time - as well as a camera (may as well film it and keep you folks entertained - works for Les Stroud)
I'd leave you folks with some music, but I'm understandably dirty, tired, and hungry right now.
Deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment